Trip #154 (4): Rough Riders Tour: CO, WY & Dakotas (still trying to escape the heat)
September 7 – x, 2026
Santa Fe still daily blazing at 90, enough already!!!! Diesel WAY UP $5.69 gal. WTF. Got to Leadville about 3pm. CG on Turquoise Lake #36 but bathroom STINKS so moved to better spot down the road. Flatter too. Host has 2 big cats running around, one friendly one not.
Thursday, September 10
Cleaning house before we move on north. What can I say about Encampment except if you want to hear the sound of blowers lawn mowers and tractors and nothing else, this is the place to be. The coach next-door has the cutest little puppy I worried about it all morning cause I thought the woman went to work every day but I see she's here now so I can relax. I was gonna crawl through the window and play with it. Another day of 4 - 5 hours driving, from Encampment, 130 to Saratoga (what's with all the private jets at that tiny airport?), to Rawlins, 287 on west of Muddy Gap, thru Jeffrey City, the rest stop at Sweetwater Station (Oregon Trail rut area, but not for us today unless that is what I saw in the distance), and up 135 to Riverton, then on up more on 789 to the north end of Boysen Reservoir. Looks a lot like Page AZ here: barren with a large lake, but this one has plenty of water. Went to one of the cg's we've been to before, tho I had no memory until I saw it -- oh yes, the green park with the big trees and green grass. They say they water every day May - Sept. On the warm side (78º) when we arrived about 3-ish, changed into shorts and sat out in the shade of the big tree of the handicap spot we snagged for one night, #69. Camp less than half full and so quiet. This is the CG that also had about 3 cabins to rent and looked empty, no cars, so we walked up to peek in the window... is that cleaning supplies? NO, SOMEONE IS STAYING HERE! OOPS). It is along the Wind River, where you can see the fish hanging out, and we have no poles. No elec here so a night of battery lights and kibbie (yeah, I finally won 2-1). Enough zooming to get here, time to slow down and enjoy a location we've not seen before. Let's hope at least.
Diesel in Rollins Walmart for 5.48
Friday, Sept. 11 - Never Forget - Big Horn Mountains
**NEXT TIME: Make a trip with time at Thermopolis, Worland & Ten Sleep (Souix say this is mid-way between Y-stone and ___). Things to see & do, but they were not part of this plan - of continuous driving...
Sentiway, was a warm morning leaving that canyon, maybe 72º, as we drove north toward Thermopolis. All these towns were bigger and nicer that we expected, must come back, some dino museums, etc. Worland had a 9-11 service going on at a park as we plowed thru (big place), and Ten Sleeps was so green and cute I had to get a mug at Dirty Sally's Mercantile. Very clean here at the foot of the Big Horns, can only mean one thing: Mormons. Yep. Saw their church. The Big Horns look big! 13-ers, but driving into them was gradual with beautiful foothills and canyons, very pretty indeed. Drove Hwy 16 about halfway in and found a perfect forest svc spot #6 overlooking Meadowlark Lake. We wanted cool? We got it now - sunny but wind was blowing and it felt like in the 50s, time to change clothes. Stayed cool, we walked down to lake, then across the street to check out atv road we will bike tomorrow. Stayed in a lot, tired and grumpy -- getting a bit sick of no electric... you know, what is this, camping??? Anyway, no signal either to Starlink kept the podcasts and crochet hooks flipping. Oh yeah, I slipped on rocks on that atv road and landed on side of left thigh, that might leave a mark... carrying on. It was 55º in the trailer when I went to bed at 11.
Saturday, Sept. 12
Was 39º this am, but dang this Airstream-provided bedspread is very very warm, no worries there, plus a few layers. Today we will ride. Still on the anti-histamine diet so dining is no fun, neither is cooking in but we manage. He has his whisky, cookies and bread, no whining. That's my job.
No comments:
Post a Comment